Monday, August 29, 2011

The law of attraction







Napoleon Hill

Every adversity has the seed to a better equivalent.
  When I read this three years ago from Napoleon Hill's Think and grow rich, I knew I needed to buy the book. Rarely did I go to a bookstore and buy a book. Come to think of it, rarely did I go to a bookstore. But on that particular day I was guided and felt compelled to go. It was a cold day....bitter cold, and I had just gotten a delicious, hot vanilla latte from Starbucks. As I looked at my watch I realized I still had thirty minutes before my socially acceptable time to arrive at my next appointment. (socially accepted? Boy did I have a ways to go!) So I decided to "run" into the bookstore to eat up some time....or so I thought.




 I half heartedly thumbed through various books for about ten minutes and then I read that quote. Originally written in 1937, this book had been read by some of the most influential people of our time. How had I not known about it? With over 100 pages I somehow came to THAT page with THAT quote. It was as if my guide had personally grabbed me by the ear and dragged my butt to THAT quote so she could finally get through to me.

See what you don't realize is that earlier that day, I was in a self pity of a mess. Sick.and.tired.mess. Sick and tired of being broke. Sick and tired of everything going wrong, sick and tired of having everything seem forty thousand times harder for me than the other person, sick and tired of never attracting what I wanted, always getting more of what I didn't.


I plopped down onto the floor and began reading in shear disbelief. Focus on what you want, not on what you don't...... Society's biggest problem is our familiarity with the word impossible....People are so accustomed and comfortable complaining about "what is" rather than focusing on "what could be"....


This book was speaking to me. Now it did not completely change my life, but the book did completely change my life. I still went through hell and back, but most importantly the book made me aware of my behavior. It made me aware of my contradictions. It told me that you can't tell the universe you want more money, and then turn around and say well I can't have that because I can't afford it. And while I never did make it to that appointment, I did make it into a book store and I did learn that: If you think you can, or you think you can't, your right! 


Love and light
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment